Saturday, January 28, 2017

A Note on This Troubling Time

BettyAzarfrom Betty Azar
Co-Author, Azar Grammar Series

One of the best parts of being involved in international education, whether as a student or a teacher, is that we get to reach our hands across cultural and linguistic barriers.  All of us are grateful for the opportunity to connect human being to human being as we learn about each other.   We are a powerful force in the world to bring about cross-cultural understanding and goodwill.

I am writing this as someone who has been involved in international education for almost fifty years to say that I am horrified by the ignorance, fear-mongering and prejudice of the Trump administration. Know that the majority of Americans welcome diversity and welcome you in our midst.

But at the same time, unfortunately, you need to stay informed of what the U.S. government is saying and doing in regard to travel and visa restrictions that might affect you.  These are troubling and unpredictable times that cause all people of good conscience throughout the world to worry and stay aware of events.

I regret so much that I find it necessary to send this message.  Let us all try in every way we can to maintain good intercultural relationships even as we face current U.S. government policies and actions that threaten international education and international peace. Together we are stronger.

Wishing each of you well,
Betty Azar

Comments

Comment from Gheorghe Moraru
January 28, 2017 at 3:10 pm

You are absolutely right, Mrs. Azar. America was and still is great. No need to „make it great again”. Hopefully Trump and his team won’t do more bad than good…

Comment from Masaki Oda
January 28, 2017 at 6:39 pm

As someone who has been a long admirer of your grammar series and the one who has translated your Understanding and Using English Grammar into Japanese hoping to reinforce better intercultural understanding, I am very worried about what has been happening at the airports across the US in the past few days. Hopefully the situation won’t get any worse.

Comment from Ines
January 29, 2017 at 7:21 am

I have used your fantastic books and being an admirer of your work since 1990, I can tell you I’m very worried about what MrT is doing. And what scares me most is the division he has brought upon the citizens of the USA.

January 30, 2017 at 5:04 am

Thanks, Betty, for saying what so many of us who work in the ESL profession here in the US are thinking. I hope by speaking out, calling politicians and participating in protests, we can persuade the leaders of our country to stand up for immigrants and international visitors, wherever they may come from.

Comment from Mary Lawson
January 30, 2017 at 9:16 am

Betty, Thank you for speaking out as we all must do in these troubled times.

Comment from Margarita Valdivia-Reyes
May 20, 2017 at 10:41 pm

I have used your wonderful books to teach English in my capacity as Parent Liaison and now as an entrepreneur teaching English in a private school, for more than 8 years. There are not enough words to thank you for stand with compassion in behalf of minorities-like me- in this time of challenges.