View Single Post
Old 07-19-2008, 07:21 PM

Talking A Fun Review Game

Dear Teachers,

This is virtually identical to something in the following thread:
http://www.azargrammar.com/teacherTa...hread.php?t=53
This game does take some advanced preparation the first time you play it, so, in that respect, it isn’t a “quick teaching idea,” but, after the first time, it doesn’t take much time to get ready. It’s a good way to review what you have been studying, and it’s a good way to get students laughing and talking. It’s an extremely modified version of the game “Cranium.” I won’t explain “Cranium,” but you do need to be familiar with it, so look at this site:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cranium_(board_game)

It’s easier to, just, buy a game to modify — that’s what I’ve done, but that isn’t necessary; you could make your own. You will only need a board, game pieces, paper or a white board to draw on, and a die. You will not need the cards: you are going to make your own cards — or you can just make up your own questions as the students play the game. The Wikipedia page (above) has a very detailed picture of the board (And I attached a picture, below.), so I think that it would be fairly easy to make a DIY (do it yourself) version based on it. The Cranium die is cooler than a regular die (And it better suits the game.), but you could use a regular die and assign a different color to each number — for example, 1 = red, 2 = yellow, 3 = green, 4 = blue, 5 = purple (a brain), and 6 = roll again.

Divide the class into teams. (There can be up to four teams.) Assign a different category to each color: red, yellow, green, and blue. I like my games (and my classes) to be a combination of serious learning and goofy fun, so I mix the two up. Here’s an example of categories that I’ve used with one of my classes (a level 2 class in a program that has 5 levels):
RED (“factoid-ish”): Correct the mistake in the sentence on the whiteboard.
YELLOW (spelling): Without writing anything or using any other aid, spell a word forwards or backwards. (The point of backward spelling is to “handicap teams” — by making the spelling harder — and to induce mistakes that cause good-natured fun.)
GREEN (pictionary): Without speaking or writing any words, draw pictures to elicit the comparative on the card — for example, A is bigger than B, X is more intelligent than Y, or 1 is sexier than 2. (You may, or may not, want to restrict the students’ ability to point to things or people in the classroom.)
BLUE (charades): Without speaking or writing any words (It’s OK to make sounds.), elicit the place on the card — for example, a laundromat, a hospital, or an amusement park.

In my experience, this extremely modified version of Cranium is easy to adapt to your level and what you’ve been teaching, it’s a good way to review what you’ve taught, it does not take much prep’ time — other than the first time, it’s inexpensive or free, and it helps students both learn and laugh uncontrollably. In other words, I think it’s great game to use in your class. Give it a try.

Sincerely,
Sam Simian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cranium 1.jpg (80.3 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Sam Simian; 07-19-2008 at 07:39 PM.