Go Back   Teacher Talk > Teaching Grammar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-04-2008, 12:28 AM

Smile Quick Teaching Ideas

When I teach comparatives, I usually elicit “animals & adjectives.” Students give me the names of animals, and then I write them in a circle around the edge of the white board. After that, I elicit a list of adjectives — one-syllable, two-syllable ending in –y, two-syllable not ending in –y, and three-or-more-syllable — that can be used to describe animals. Next, we write the number of syllables after each adjective. Then, after modeling some sentences, I have students use the animals and adjectives to write sentences. You can do similar things with “foods & adjectives,” “cities & adjectives,” “movies & adjectives,” etc.

I usually teach equatives (as X as) and superlatives the next day. I draw four cartoon characters (including a caricature of myself), and I list their age and I.Q. After that, I write “tall,” “old,” “heavy,” “sexy,” “handsome,” “cheerful,” “beautiful,” and “intelligent” on the white board. It’s important that one of the figures is the Xest (or the most X) and two figures are as X as each other. Then, I use questions that require a comparative, an equative, or a superlative in the answer. Next, I have them write sentences about the cartoon characters with comparatives, equatives, and superlatives.

Finally, after eliciting some new adjectives (or “recycling” adjectives from the day before), students discuss things like their hometown VS where they live now, food in their hometown VS food where they live now, movies, education, family members, etc.

I’ve found that this is both comprehensible to the students, and it makes studying comparatives, equatives, and superlatives a little fun.

Sincerely,
Sam Simian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg All 4 People.jpg (19.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Solange and George.jpg (20.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Betty and Sam.jpg (19.1 KB, 22 views)